Thursday, December 28, 2006

A good Christmas reflection...

http://www.myspace.com/iamyourhomeboy

Well its Christmas, and I figured I would take a little time off from celebrating my birthday to write a short blog about the holidays. Today's topic is the fat jolly man that people have come to love so much. I wanted to clarify something for the world, good ole Saint Nick and Myself are actually good friends. I have nothing against him, but I do have some issues with the culture that surrounds him this time of year. It seems that people would rather believe in Santa than Me. Just think of all the so called "Christmas" movies made every year. They are mostly filled with this misleading notion that everyone needs to have a little faith in Santa. For some reason they try to perpetuate this myth of Santa to the children. Now I know its just so the kids could have a little fun, but in truth it is damaging to My celebration. Not even Saint Nick would appreciate what has been done with him during the Christmas season. He has been made into a Christmas god. It's funny how people have always wanted to worship anything except the real God. Take a look at the Hebrews right after they were freed from slavery, it didn't take them long to create an inferior golden calf to worship, and today we have done the same thing with Santa. Americans have created an inferior Christmas god, to worship yearly. Its not that Santa represents bad morals and ideas, its just that he is not a good icon for what Christmas should really be about. Think about the songs people sing when it comes to Santa:
"Making a list, Checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice"
Since when does being naughty or nice have anything to do with Christmas? If you really look at what my birth is about, you see that the gift of my life doesn't just belong to the people that have been nice all year round, its for the people that have been naughty as well, and really its for them more than anyone else. See I came for the loss, the broken, the hurt… The Naughty; yet we teach our children a very non-Christmas idea. We try to teach them that Christmas is about what you can earn by doing good, but if we perpetuate this lie we are really doing a great disservice to Christmas. My birth was about receiving a gift that you could never earn, no matter how naughty or nice one is. This is the trouble with Santa, he brings an inferior idea of what Christmas should really be about, My Grace. So this Christmas I pray you all will remember the grace I brought to this world several Christmas's ago.
Love JC
P.S. Yes I know that December 25th was most likely not the actual day I was born. The church changed the date of many Christian events to help the process of evangelism to many pagan cultures. The church tried to replace those pagan holidays with Christian ones, and in many ways it worked. People can argue about whether this is a good thing or not, but does it really matter? I am primarily concerned with people being made aware of Me and My story, and if that means that our traditions are simply the product of Christians adapting my story to the pagan culture than so be it.

No comments: