Tuesday, February 13, 2007

what does sorry mean?...

I have been thinking lately about how much i value someone saying sorry to me, and just how much i pin hope on getting a sorry without asking.

I have wondered what happens in thie process, what do i gain in hearing a five letter word?
I realised last night that when you say sorry you give whatever you took from the other person back... This isnt a physical stealing thing but a value base steal... it might be respect or authority.

But i have come to realise that when you say sorry, or when you hear it, you give or have given to you, part of your own worth. If a sorry is truely meant then the value placed on the person hearing is the value you took... their worth.

So when we need to hear the word sorry its the act of giving back that worth to the person. We need to hear sorry to know that the damage done can start to be fixed because YOU ARE WORTH BEING FIXED!

The pain of never hearing that word is all too close to home at times for me... how do we seek and get that worth when it isnt going to come from that tiny word sorry?

The answer is simple but hard to work out... God. If He gives us our true value, our true worth then we should seek our worth in Him... the answer becomes clearer when you look at what seeking for that sorry has done to people over time... you become bitter... if you never get that sorry, never getting that self worth then you become the very thing you didnt want to be.

We/I need to make sure this process doesnt happen, not just for my own sake but for the people who do show me my worth in other ways. If God loves me, and i know he does, then i need to be able to find the strenght and faith to let those sorrys i didnt get go. Or i will continue to become infected with bitterness...

My church is looking at love, this Sunday we re-learnt the value of love and how without it everything we do it is nothing... worthless... if i am to let go of the sorrys i didnt get then i need to act in love and not out of selfish need or desire... the bitterness still creeps back in if we have done it out of unhealthy motives....

x


LISTENING TO- 6 underground- sneaker pimps

No comments: