Saturday, February 09, 2008

Emotion rules ok?

So for my 100th post I thought I would do a big sing and dance about how much I enough blogging and all that... However I have been thinking a lot about some things that have been happening in my life and so in my usual style I have gone for that instead.

Over the past few weeks I have realised I have said the following phrase...

‘I am ruled by my emotions’

I haven’t said this lightly, and I am normally hesitant is saying that statement... which also makes me wonder why. (Am I that scared of being honest and allowing myself to show how I feel when that is being honest with myself)

My life at the moment is stupidly busy, I have far too much happening and no space to put anything down quite yet. Which has meant I am tired and stressed at times and so everything becomes heightened... while I am someone who always wondered people reactions and my own, this becomes magnified 100 fold.

I have a tendency to hold on to everything someone can say and mull it over a little too much, I invent things that might not be there, or just enlarge the small details everyone else seems to just drop.

And while I can handle this most of the time, sit back and think sensibly about it all and usually drop it, what happens when I can’t? How does this affect my relationships? How does this affect my relationship with God?

Does my over thinking and allowing things to run and rule on my emotions help?

So I hit the internet this time...

“Feelings. Imagine living in a world without them. It would be like 'playing a trombone with a stuck slide”

“The Purpose of Feelings Feelings are an emotional barometer. They are an indicator of what is going on in our inner self or mind. For instance, if I lack peace, or feel guilty or anxious, my feelings are telling me that something is out of harmony and needs to be resolved.

Second, warm loving feelings keep us close to and feeling connected to the ones we love the most...and also to God. Emotions also put sparkle into life. People whose emotions are buried are not very dynamic.”

“God's Word says, "Surely you [God] desire truth in the inner parts," or as another translation puts it, "You deserve honesty from the heart; yes, utter sincerity and truthfulness. Oh, give me this wisdom.” (Psalm 51:6)

“It is essential that we cultivate a healthy emotional life so we will both act and feel the way God intended us to do.”

If God is a relationship God, and from my theology and understand He is, Jesus died for us to reunite us with God (our Father)... so if we are to be in relation... then that involves emotion. But God is good, wholesome and true, and so the only emotions from him must be good wholesome and true, it is out of these i/we should act and ‘be’. This isn’t to say we are sinful if we have anger but it’s how we react and act in it that must matter.

And if I am hurt, how do I react? What do my emotions tell me? If I am an ‘emotional’ person then I listening to them is so important... as a human and as a child of God.




Just sometimes it’s not easy to handle that feeling.... when it’s painful.

X

LISETENING TO- (watching) fever pitch

One final word....

"Love. . .is a commitment of one imperfect person to another imperfect person regardless of how we feel"....... really?

Quotes from...
http://www.ncfliving.org/feelings1.php

No comments: